This is the winner in the tulip contest in the US. The Netherlands Flower Bulb Centre keeps careful records, and they tell us that Americans buy more red Darwin Hybrids than any other tulips. And no wonder. They’re the tall, large-flowered “perennial tulips”, and, well, red is red. Can’t have too many of this classic. About Darwin Hybrid Tulips: Early in the 20th Century, a talented Dutch hybridizer named Lefeber worked long and hard with a wild tulip called “Tulipa fosteriana”from Central Asia. It is red, and from it, he hybridized the group that became known as the Emperor Tulips. The world-famous Red Emperor was introduced in 1931, and is what we now call a member of the “Fosteriana Tulip” group. In fact, Red Emperor’s official variety name is “Madame Lefeber” in honor of the original hybridizer’s wife. Even though the Red Emperor and other fosterianas were instant sensations, the hybridizers were not satisfied. They were fascinated by what were then called simply “Darwin Tulips”. These were large-flowered tulips in clear colors on tall stems, but without any perennial qualities. The Emperors, being close to a wild species, were quite perennial, so they crossed the two groups. And voila! Darwin Hybrid Tulips were born, with the best qualities of both groups. Ever since, the Darwin Hybrids have set the standards worldwide for tall graceful, large flowered perennial tulips. Red Darwin Hybrids are now No. 1 in the US. There are not many Darwin Hybrids, even today. But they are every good gardener’s favorites and always highly valued by florists.
Returns and Exchanges
There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased.You can return unwanted items by post within 7 working days of receipt of your goods.
- You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
- Only items that have been purchased directly from Us.
- Please ensure that the item you are returning is repackaged with all elements.
Ship your item back to Us
Firstly Print and return this Returns Form to:
30 South Park Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94108, USA
Please remember to ensure that the item you are returning is repackaged with all elements.
For more information, view our full Returns and Exchanges information.
- Extra-large perennial tulips run from the reds and yellows, with everything in between
- It's a "hot family" of colors, and never fails to create a fantastic splash of color
- Mature Height: 20-22 inches tall
- 12/+ cm
- Tulip Bulbs "Red Impression" - Top Sized 12cm+ Bulbs
- Darwin Hybrid Tulip 'Red Impression' Extra-large, long lasting blooms. A blazing fire engine red from top to bottom.
- Tulip Red Impression has exceptional perennial qualities.
- Red Impression produces giant flowers!
- Zones 3-8, Plant in Fall, blooms April - May.